Monday, May 7, 2007

Wonderful Women


The first weekend in May brought an opportunity for me to spend a day with four American teachers from Tianjin International School. They were seeking a vacation from their concrete city in the fresh air and grasslands at Camp Shamineau. I tagged along with them to the camp for one night, slept in a yurt again, ate a wonderful camp breakfast, and played Settlers with them!


Being at the camp with these four friends, while enjoyable, made my heart break. Walking into the building gave my soul immediate peace. Although the accommodations may not be as comfortable, Shamineau East will always feel like home. Knowing that I will not be there this summer is a difficult thought.

However, witnessing the relationship between these four girls - their laughter, encouragement, inside jokes, and complete comfort with one another - made me miss my friends in my other home: Minneapolis. It seems as though travel destines one for a lifetime of homesickness. Even when returning 'home', there will always be another home left behind.
.

No comments: