Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Where do YOU shower?

A co-worker asked me yesterday, "Where do you shower?"

I responded with slight confusion, "In my apartment bathroom."

She seemed dissatisfied and continued to tell me, "You can go to another building, you know."

An even greater confusion over took me as I wanted to scream, "Why in the world would I walk to another building, carrying all my shower necessities with me, to shower amongst potential dirt not of my own, along side other potential shower users, when I have a perfectly private and clean shower five feet from my warm bed!?!"

Instead, after a period of uncomfortable silence, I chose to respond with, "Well, I do have a water heater."

Annoyed that I couldn't understand the benefits of her shower oasis, she dropped the subject with a final word, "We can go together some day soon."

2 comments:

Special K said...

Lucky you for having hot water for two months! I was just asked by my host mom last night if I had figured out how to get hot water yet. I have no idea how she knew I hadn't (that's right, 35 days of cold showers), but she taught me the trick--you have to have the pressure so insanely low that it takes forEVER to get the soap suds off, but you do get scalding hot water! Even from the one single tap that says 'cold' (and no, not fria, strangely enough!)! So this morning I adjusted the pressure-to-heat ratio until it was just right, and I think I came out about even on water usage. Fast, high pressure cold showers versus longer, low pressure hot showers. I'm not sure which is more environmentally friendly, but I'll take the latter anyday!

Unknown said...

Not since the days of the Romans was bathing such a social experience!