Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Palm Sunday

I had an opportunity to visit a friend's home today. Pollyanna works for Shamineau and has become a close friend of mine. She accompanied me this morning, helping translate lyrics and such. After our meeting Anna invited me to lunch at a nearby restaurant and then to view the room where she stays. She lives is a dormitory style building near the college campus. Although she recently had two roommates, she now is living in a room alone. This room is adjacent to three other rooms, the tenants of which share a bathroom with her. Anna has no access to a stove, so she must eat all her meals outside of her home.


As the picture portrays, the furnishings are minimal and unadorned. The photo fails, however, to depict the enormous amount of mold visibly growing from floor to ceiling on the right wall. My lungs begged for fresh air as my eyes surveyed the sight of such a health hazard.

I am always flooded with conflicting emotions when I view such drastic living situations. I despise the pride in me that considers, even in an attitude of helpfulness, other's homes substandard. I try to control the longing in my heart for superficial comforts that festers from nanny jobs in Minnetonka. I fight the urge to demand justice and equality between these two extremes.


A friend recently reminded me that although many Americans wonder how people in China and other countries can live such poor lives, we fail to notice that the majority of the population is happy and content. I am often blessed by Anna's happiness. I pray that I too can develop such an attitude of contentment and find my joy in eternal things rather than those of this world.

No comments: