Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Where Is Your Treasure Stored?


Tuesday morning I awoke to more snow again! It thankfully stopped some time in the night, unfortunately heralding in the sun. The sun began shining at about 5:30 this morning, becoming strong enough to wake me by 5:56 AM. I need to invest in some thicker curtains. I fear I may return to the states with the schedule of a senior citizen: in bed by nine, up at five!


Having woken so early, I had time today for some more photos. On the fifth of April (Thursday) Chinese celebrate a traditional holiday to commemorate the deceased. Entire classes of students will visit the tombs to sweep them clean. Families will burn piles of money for their ancestors to use in heaven. In preparation for this holiday, there are carts everywhere piled high with imitation paper money.


These pictures cause me to consider all the possessions I'm meticulously storing up, spending piles of money on, which will only turn to dust in the end along with my own flesh. Why are eternal treasures not so easily seen and urgently sought after?

No comments: