Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Scholarly Morning

I finished a book. Shocking, I know, but after two months I finally read the last page in the book intended as a month long experiment. Surprise Me by Terry Esau challenged me (and other readers) to daily pray “Surprise Me” and be open to the response. Although I ‘m still processing everything I am learning from both this book and other experiences, I have realized that my intentions, my expectations, and my plans are far from pure of heart in service to my Father. And while I may not yet know the details of His plans, or ever know His reasoning, I am learning to listen.

This Thursday morning I also finished a second book! This one I only started a few weeks ago so I am improving. I found Dorothy Sun’s story in Clay in the Potter’s Hand intriguing and inspiring. Although I have always found history interesting, I haven’t had the desire to study any particular period of time. However, now I am thoroughly fascinated with the Chinese Cultural Revolution.

After finishing these two books I had a private service with my computer and some archived sermons I had downloaded. Listening to Cor and Steve made me homesick but also challenged me. I left for work with more questions than answers. Am I leaning my ladder on the right wall? Am I worshiping this life? Where do I need to trust Him more?

I received an unexpected surprise while at work which immediately forced me to trust Him. A call from John informed me that there was water pouring down into the store below my apartment so I should immediately return home to check the problem. With visions of a sea of water awaiting me, I rushed home selfishly praying that my most treasured things were not ruined.

When I arrived , to my relief there was not a drop of water to be found. A few workers came shortly after my arrival, seeking the source of the water leakage. They poked around at radiator pipes, inspected the sinks and then searched the balcony. In the end they decided it was just melting snow. It was at this point that we realized the water was not poring into the store below (as had originally be described to us) but rather had been dripping for a few days.

As my heart rate returned to normal I was reminded how great my Father is. Had there been water everywhere, He would have provided. Had a fire destroyed everything, I would surely have been offered assistance from the many friends He has already placed in my life here. With all the past reminders and evidence of His provisions, graces and goodness, why can I still not fully trust Him?


No comments: