Friday, March 9, 2007

Covergirl

When I was asked a few days ago if I would mind having a picture of myself in the new advertisement for work I didn't realize I would have the whole front page to myself!

I arrived at work today to seen an enormous stack of fliers with my face plastered on the front. My first thought was "Yes, I completed something from my list!" (Later I realized that modeling wasn't on there but it should have been and I seriously debated adding it so I could then cross it off.)

After that diva moment, however, I became more pensive. While I understand that an American's presence is great P.R. I felt a bit awkward about it all, especially after I searched the rest of the flier only to find three more pictures of me working and an absence of anyone else. So although I work with six other amazing people who have dedicated themselves at this job for many years and will continue to work here long after I have left, I am the sole representative of this group.

And with that humble realization I began to think about all the potential instances when I may have been the sole image of Christ or the particular representative remembered in regards to a religious experience. It's one thing to be responsible for how an organization looks and is remembered, but the immense responsibility needed for representing Him is more than I want. And yet, I have committed to His P.R. project. I, along with many others, daily claim to be followers, but I wonder, are we intentionally aware of the examples we're giving others to follow?

No comments: