Monday, March 12, 2007

Left, right, left

Despite logical belief, I am finding through experience that it is actually safer to cross the street against the light here in Hailar. It is the habitual assumption of safety and trust placed in the 'green-means-go' light that increases danger and brings a response of utter shock as cars continue their paths, fully intending to maintain their speed, straight towards me.
















I sometimes wonder if breaks even exist in Chinese cars. While the lack of breaking usually results in a smoother ride, it also means I am wincing every 50 feet as we come inches from hitting a passing biker, slow much too slowly for a light, or swerve around helpless pedestrians. Although the lack of breaking may be an adaption to the icy roads, I remember similar driving this summer so I am not convinced by such theories. Such avoidance of the left pedal also creates a noisier environment as cars clear a path for themselves with their horns as if to remind the world "I have no breaks or refuse to use them but unless you want to find out which, you'd better move!"

As I daily cross these intersections I wonder how our spiritual lives may be similar to the dangerous streets I cross. Although I have been raised with the belief that I will be kept from harm as a follower of Christ, such ignorance threatens to hinder me from fully serving the surrounding community on the streets I daily walk. As C.S. Lewis so simply explained in his classic children's Narnia novels "Safe! Aslan is not safe, but he is good." Just because the world has given me the go signal, assuring me I will be safe if I am moving forward to Him, crossing the road is never safe (especially when there is a chicken involved.) Although God wants every good thing for me, He does not promise a life without danger. I am reminded of Jesus' example of prayer as He thanked the Father for being with Him in the valley of the shadow of death. He wasn't kept from harm! The dangers weren't eliminated for Him! He simply did not go through danger alone.

Although the thought that we are not alone in times of struggle is a familiar message that is heard often, I think we are less likely to ponder the origin of those struggles and dangerous roads. I would much rather think of danger and discipline as evil attacks, however, it is actually the most loving Father who will ruin His child's pleasure and comfort for a brief moment so that he or she may find true and everlasting joy and peace.

So how do we eliminate some of the dangers in the intersections of life? Look left and right, recognize evil for what it is, and keep walking towards the beaconing light (even if the world is screaming at you that it is red.)

2 comments:

PopStar said...

The settled happiness and security which we all desire, God withholds from us by the very nature of the world: but joy, pleasure, and merriment, He has scattered broadcast. We are never safe, but we have plenty of fun, and some ecstacy. It is not hard to see why. The security we crave would teach us to rest our hearts in this world and oppose an obstacle to our return to God: a few moments of happy love, a landscape, a symphony, a merry meeting with our friends, a bathe or a football match, have no such tendency. Our Father refreshes us on the journey with some pleasant inns, but will not encourage us to mistake them for home.

Anonymous said...

Katrina,
I don't think brakes exist on the other side of the pond. In Italy, they are crazy drivers, in France crazier faster drivers...and in the UK the drive on the WRONG side. What's up with that.

Just be careful crossing those streets. I want you to come home in June. :)