Friday, March 9, 2007

Honor for Estrogen

Yesterday I enjoyed potentially the best holiday after Christmas and Easter. The international holiday celebrating women was such a positive, refreshing experience. Unlike Valentine's Day, where the social pressures make you feel as though you've failed if you are single yet again, Women's Day does not require you to have a man in your life to feel loved. Unlike New Year's Eve, where the expectation is an evening of new beginnings (again with a significant other), Women's Day is a pleasant reminder of the glories and struggles of women alone that have indirectly influenced all of us today. And, unlike Mother's Day, during which I yearn for the joy of such responsibility, Women's day only requires me to be that which I was at birth: female.

Such simple acceptance is not easily found so I caught myself thinking often yesterday of God's abundant grace as He invited everyone to enjoy His holiday gift. Although I know this international day of recognition for women was not created to give glory to God, isn't it wonderful how it can?

I chose to honor the women here in my life with flowers and phone messages. I was blessed in return with gifts, an amazing dinner and much fellowship. I am beginning to appreciate so much more the power and importance of female friendships!

1 comment:

Nate said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.