Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Popcorn Salted With Tears

Well, I just finished watching my third Janette Oke novel-inspired movie in the last 24 hours. And while I'm a bit overdosed on the 'warm fuzzies' I do have to admit that this series universally touches women's hearts.

Last night my friend and translator P. chose the movie Love Comes Softly from a dozen titles and although I had recently seen it during my Spring Festival boredom, I agreed to watch it for a second time. Little did I know the women I work with would choose it again this morning! Since the series has a subtle spiritual story and is tasteful in its sappiness, I didn't mind too much at viewing it once more. There's actually something beneficial in multiple viewings or readings of entertainment that provokes a pensive state. And with the second presentation I had the opportunity to watch the girls' reactions and responses to the touching tale. I know that it has already inspired a seed of thought in one of my colleagues.

Tonight P. excitedly returned for another visit with me, and the second film - Love's Enduring Promise. There are actually four movies in the series and since all these women are devouring these films with joy and tears, I have a feeling I will be blessed with an opportunity to springboard into serious spiritual conversations. I will also probably end up watching each film at least twice so I think it only fitting for you to join on the fun too.

"Just remember that God has written His own story for you. And it's not the feelings of your heart that it should be based upon but rather the thoughts of your heart that you need to hear. That inner voice that tells you that this man will care for you no matter what, that he'll want to kiss you when you're old and gray, tend to you when you're sick, honor you."

"And if the thoughts of my heart say yes, he is the one?"

"Then you should trust your instincts and pledge your heart to him, because a man like that is as rare as a diamond in the rough."

Love's Enduring Promise

Although I would have never chosen a Hallmark-type film as my means of reaching out to people and explaining the only real example of grace and unconditional love, I am excited to see yet another facet of God's amazing authorship.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Update: 5 in 48

Unknown said...

WEEEEEE

Love lil poppe

Anonymous said...

Poppe gave me the site so I could keep up on what's going on with you way out on the other side of the world. It sounds like you are up to some amazing things! Keep on posting so I can stay in the "know" about what you're up to!

Valerie