Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Faith Restored

Have you ever had a relationship where you are constantly thinking about the other person, daily supplying them with words of encouragement and love, generously offering them simple gifts to remind them of your adoration, only to receive nothing in return but complaints, requests for more sacrifices, and worse yet – neglect. This is pretty much how my relationship with my Father appears. Yesterday, although receiving many personal reminders of His presence, I still trudged through the day with ungratefulness for what I’ve been given, with bitterness over not receiving what I selfishly felt entitled to, and with a general negative outlook on my life.

When I finally committed to correcting my attitude and attempted to recognize His blessings given that day, I realized all the moments in which he was present, trying to demonstrate His everlasting love for me. His provision was in the package, which finally arrived from my parents after about 6 weeks of fraternization with foreign postmen. His beauty arrived in a soft morning snowfall, generating giddiness in my weary soul. His joy was illuminated in the sheer delight of my coworkers as they received my gift of motivational stickers (which were included in the mysteriously late package from my parents.)

Father's mercy was also given through a musical miracle. After a few hours of trying to figure out how to make my CDs (which thankfully arrived from Tim on Saturday) work in my computer, (I unknowingly burned them as protected files) a patient friend appeared online to talk me though the steps towards melodic success. I can now listen to any music that I have ever bought, owned, or ‘borrowed'. More importantly, I can finally offer some gifts of worship music to thirsty friends.

I am learning to look towards Father for the attention, adoration and affection that I desire and have previously found in other relationships and conversations with friends. And whenever I finally remember to turn towards Him, He never disappoints me, welcoming me with open arms and restoring my endurance for this temporary life and renewing my hope in His promise of an eternal future.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am, as always, so proud of you!

Special K said...

Does this mean I can finally send you that postcard I've had ready and stamped for a month now?! If not, could you please send me the characters within 18 hours? I'm going up into Quito tomorrow to mail my Venezuelan host mom's b-day postcard, so I'd love to get yours in the mail at the same time!